As I rode down the A56 to Meadow Lea café there was a strong westerly wind blowing, so I decided that a ride on the Wirral should give us a tail wind on the way home. You see, Neil, we do listen! Arriving at the café, it was packed with CER members. There must have been twenty or more there. Keith’s photo below gives you some idea.
My plan was to lead a mod group to the Corner Café in
Brimstage, expecting to collect a following of 6 to 8. As it turned out, no one
else had a mod ride to hand so when I finally set off along Station Road, there
were another thirteen (yes, 13!) behind me! This felt like a recipe for
disaster so, when we’d turned into Salters Lane, I stopped and asked if someone
else would load a copy of the route onto their Garmin/Wahoo/Phone just in case.
Anthony stepped forward (good man!) and after a bit of fiddling got the route
onto his phone.
At this point we seemed to have lost Jim, Trevor, George and
Anthony, but I was content to press on, given that Anthony had the route. A
quick dash around the back of Capenhurst and the Urenco facility took us on to
the Welsh Road and Hooton village. Passing Bromborough Golf Club we were soon
at Raby Mere and a group photo opportunity. Thanks, Elwyn.
Pressing on through Poulton and Stanton, we came to the Storeton
turn and Brimstage Lane. Here, Steve H come flying up to me shouting that I’ve
take a wrong turn, but I never forget this lane as it’s where a few years ago
the lane was flooded where it goes under the M53 and Dave Pipe couldn’t risk
going through the water in case it flooded the battery on the e-tandem.
We were soon into Brimstage Hall Courtyard, where we find the café…..closed!
There’s a sign in the window declaring ‘Edge & Son, Butchers, Coming Soon’!
Fortunately, almost next door, there is the Bhudda Bar which offers a range of
sandwiches, toasties, jacket potatoes and ‘Bhudda bowls’. So ten hungry
cyclists piled in to place their orders followed about ten minutes later by the
gang of four led by Anthony. As you might imagine, this totally overwhelmed the
small kitchen (I think they only have one toastie machine), so the service was
a little slow. But the staff were very friendly and helpful and, as it was so
warm, most were able to sit outside.
Leaving the latecomers finishing their lunches, the main body of
the peloton set off for Thornton Hough. Crossing the very busy Chester High Road we cruised through Neston, Ness
gardens and then plunged down to Burton Marshes. Repairs to the boardwalk have not yet started, so great care was taken as we traversed it. At the junction
with the Greenway, Alan and Steve H set off for North Wales and home and the
rest pressed on over the ‘blue bridge’. At Blacon, Fiona, Elwyn and Mike G left
us, leaving Keith, Alvi, Dave and me to head on towards Meadow Lea. Alvi left a
little further on, so it was Keith, Dave and I who ended up there. Dave thought he’d come for the morning, but
stayed to the end and he fancies joining the Special Ride from Chirk on the 17th.
I think we may have a new member!
Anthony reports that Jim, Trevor, George and he started back from
Brimstage about 2pm and were back in Chester by 3.30. So, after a chaotic start,
all went well in the end. A great ride with good company and plenty of banter.
Thanks to all who took part.
ST




No comments:
Post a Comment