Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Saturday 22 October 2011

20th October 2011: Whitchurch

With the promise of dry weather, I planned a route as Bryan was away.  Speaking to a friend in Wem, I asked his opinion of a good pub; try “The Tilley Raven” he said.  I rang the landlord and 12 cyclists were duly booked in for 1 pm.  That was the beginning of things not going to plan; I then read the previous blogs this morning only to see we had been there only 6 weeks ago.  I didn’t remember, as I seemed to be behind a camera that day.  About 10 riders were ensconced in Rose Farm at 10:00; is that a record?  Twelve set off by 10:30 (another record?) Alan, Andy, Brian, Clive, Dave M, Dave H, Ivan, Jim, Martin, Norman, Ray and a mystery rider. Who’s missing? 
The route took us through Bunbury, Chorley, Wrenbury and on to Marbury.  After three punctures delayed us badly, we found ourselves in Whitchurch after 1pm and I decided democratically to alter the plan.  We headed to our usual miserable hostess with the good beer and excellent Pensioners lunches.  Was she interested in feeding 12 hungry cyclists in her (empty) pub, I asked politely?  Was she heck!  If you think I’m being unkind, see Blogs of 12 May 2011 and 24 June 2010.
Hungrily we followed Clive down to The Dodington Lodge Hotel further south on the old A41 roundabout.  Is there any pub he does not know?  Another excellent choice of Shropshire beer and lime & soda, if a little limited.  The food was good and quickly served.  The return leg was quicker through the Wychs, Malpas, Peckforton, Beeston, Tarporley and finally Utkinton.  A sunny if somewhat slow 47 miles.
Summary: I think that all on today’s ride would agree that 12 cyclists together were too many.  
Question: Should we split into two groups in future?  Discuss.
BMac

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think that two groups would be a good idea, but of course we would need two people to act as group leaders on the day. The lunch stops would certainly be less hectic!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the one who normally holds everyone back- and there does not seem to be any signs of improvement, I concur that two groups seem to be the answer. There are a few of us who are slow, so it takes the pressure off if there is a fast and slow group. It may encourage new riders not sure of their capabilities. As far as navigation is concerned, I'm sure between us, we can organise a route as long as we get sufficient notice. I could always modify a planned route from Clive if sent to me in time, and put in a shorter loop onto my navigator.
    Norman

    ReplyDelete