Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Wednesday 7 April 2021

1st April 2021: Kelsall (mod)

After many months of no club rides, we are back, all be it limited, but what a good turn out it was (possibly 15?) and that obviously didn’t include our Welsh residents, due to the boarder restrictions still being in place. It was good to see Jim despite not planning to ride, due to a leg problem. I suggested that I could lead the moderate group to Kelsall bike repair and cafe, which many have not been to before and one of the few currently open for take away (the plan was roughly 40 miles with 600 mtrs of ascent on easy hills). 

I believe 5 or 6 set off in the fast group, leaving 5 remaining for the moderate group. This was mainly due to Peter deciding to do his own ‘E’ thing, Steve H had other unknown plans and Dave M fancied Bunbury earlier in the ride and not at the end, so he turned off after 3 miles, which coincidently is when Keith got his puncture, just below the castle. Puncture fixed and Keith decides to turn back, leaving just 3!  (Dave H - Mike & me). At this rate I could be the 1st ride leader to arrive back at base with nobody left in the group Lol. Ironically, we passed Peter going the opposite way and then passed Keith 10 miles later, after passing through Waverton, so he could of carried on with us Lol. I guess he didn’t hear me say Waverton was on our route and I didn’t know he was parked there (what comms).

After passing Keith, going the other way, we head for the top of my favourite ‘Sandstone Ridge’ via the easy steady assent, thus avoiding Chapel Lane, but still passing the rather loveable Lamas at the top of said lane. We head along the ridge toward Kelsall and again avoid another tough climb (Yeld Lane) and turn left at the bottom in order to take Quarry Lane around to the Kelsall bike repair & cafe.

At this point, during our coffee, I suddenly realise, that it was the 1st time I have been at the top and bottom of Chapel lane, but never ridden it Lol. There were a fair few other cyclists also taking a breather at the cafe, despite only cake & fluids being available. We didn’t stop long, at which point we lose another from the group, as Mike headed for home, leaving just me & Dave.

Sticking to the theme of avoiding Chapel Lane, which Dave was very grateful for, we ride straight past heading for Bunbury, however I missed my planned turn (not looking at the Garmin), which meant we had to back track a few hundred yards to get back on track, as the A51 was not an acceptable option. I take the opportunity to pass through Tilston Fearnal, which is one of my favourite canal crossings (simply a gorgeous spot), with a lovely series of little hills and bends, leading to and from, before arriving at Bunbury.

The last 7 miles to Alison’s were uneventful, with Beeston Castle looking splendid, in the sunlight. We arrived at Alison’s with 43 miles on the clock and 630 mtrs assent, but Alison’s was closed. Dave then refused my extremely generous offer of coffee, at my house, thus he missed the best bit of the ride Lol. At least I made it back with at least 1 left in the group Lol.

NT 

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks Neil for a really enjoyable route. I did feel bad about turning down your coffee offer, but I had sort of promised to get my daughter's mutt out of the groomers, which I did manage to do. He is the only one in the world who dances round me flashing a smile when he sees me!

    ReplyDelete