Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 26 November 2021

25th November 2021 : Edgerley (brisk)

Today’s ride starts from Chirk so, for the first time since lockdown, I travel to the town by train. Unfortunately, the service was 20+ mins late and arriving at the cafe it was only to say hello to the other moderately brisk riders. I was the only Brisk rider out today due to various reasons.

My route was planned to be as flat as possible and a round trip 55 miles and 2400 feet of ascent. The plan was ok but you can't remove undulating roads. Leaving Chirk dropping down Chirk Bank before taking the right turn to Western Rhyn, I brake and reduce speed as Dave’s parting words were "Have you seen any frosty roads!" No problem it’s brake, indicate and then up hill. Flattish; not yet!

Passing Gobowen, I am on the long straight through Whittington and Queens Head. From Chirk to this point is only 8 miles, we've had rides only out to the pub here in the past. Taking the left fork avoiding the A5,  I ride down to Elbridge and on towards Knockin. It was only a couple of weeks ago Clive ,John W and I stopped off at the Knockin shop for a coffee, but as I’d only ridden 14 miles it's non-stop today. Onwards via Maesbrook and through Llanymynech passing the village hall used for the Vets 100.

Today the roads are dry and not much traffic. Blue skies and a moderate tail wind is taking me out to Four Crosses and passing over a very calm river Severn. Admiral Rodney's Pillar is on my right and I seem to have passed this monument so often of late.

My lunch stop was going to be the Butty Shack or The Three Pigeons at Nesscliffe but on passing The Royal Hill inn at Edgerley and, being solo, I make a management decision to stop here. Fantastic result :-pheasant, leek and bacon pie, mash and veg and two coffees all for £10.00 ! Also, I was on my way again in 20 minutes enjoying splendid lanes and never out of the big ring so for now my plan is good as a flattish route. Passing through Nesscliffe, the Pigeon looked shut but the Butty Shack had customers waiting.

Royal Hill pub
Canal and Rail by bike


Through Little Ness and en-route to Ruyton XI town, I took a wrong turn and headed up hill, oh dear after lunch -  not welcome. I pass a big white BMW minus a back end then realised I’m going the wrong way. Clive would have advised that he took this direction just to view the car. Back into the town, and passing the only cafe in this location, it is very popular with cyclists as there were probably in excess of 20 bikes outside. Hopefully their wait not too long as my past memory was it was very very slow service.

Now 38 miles into the route, it’s the Rednal airfield I’m skirting round before heading up to Tetchill, Welsh Frankton and St Martins. This last 10 miles had all the bumps and was uphill to St Martins but then into recovery by rolling down the hill, and round the A5 roundabout which takes you back to Chirk.

Arriving back at the station for my ride home it's 14:40 and my decision was if there was a train within time then catch it: had I missed 14:49, I was riding back to Chester. Another lucky break. All done and a very enjoyable day out with my own company and a relatively clean bike after 55miles.

See route map and/or gpx file download

ID

No comments:

Post a Comment