Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 10 February 2023

9th February 2023 : Wem (brisk)

A peek through the curtains at 7 a.m. revealed a chilly but frost free morning. Also it was predicted to be dry and sunny so perfect for a leisurely ride out to Cleopatra’s to join up with the Briskers. I’d noticed that Clive had planned a route to Wem on Plotaroute so added it to my Garmin. After a leisurely breakfast, I selected my light “summer” bike as the most suitable steed for hopefully dry lanes and keeping up with the speedy briskers! I set off after 9 only to be back home 15 minutes later as my right hand shifter had decided not to shift. Fortunately, my back up bike was fully prepared but as time was getting on I decided to car assist to Holt passing both Clive and Nick on route.

Cleo’s was buzzing with a gaggle of Easy Riders and but it turned out that only Richard and Nick were up for a brisk ride. Ken was out for coffee and to my surprise Clive was heading home before setting off for his country estate.  He had no recollection of preparing a route to Wem! He did however give me directions to the favoured café, Josemya’s. He also appointed me ride leader and as such responsible for this blog!

Our brisk group of three duly set off along Francis Lane and overtook the Mods along the somewhat rough lanes heading for Isycoed. I referred all complaints from my co-riders to the ride planner, Clive! Fortunately, Nick had managed to copy the route from my Garmin to his and between us navigation was mainly straightforward. We took in Bangor on Dee, and Overton on the way to Ellesmere with one or two fast main road legs. 

The narrow undulating lanes between Ellesmere, Colemere and Loppington were a delight as usual.  Richard, waxed lyrical about sheep on the road and buzzards above reminiscent of him living in the Lake District. We soon found ourselves rolling along Wem High Street and, with the aid of Clive’s directions, were quickly ensconced in Josamya’s cafe. Its not that big and was full of friendly locals two of whom surrendered their table to us. The menu was pretty comprehensive and not expensive. We settled for omelettes which were excellent. 

Resisting the temptation to finish with cake we were soon back on our bikes heading north towards Whixall, Higher Wych and eventually the long uphill drag up to and west out of Malpas. It was here that I began to miss my light bike but had the consolation of knowing that my car was at Holt and I didn’t have to ride back to Chester. 

Nick peeled off for home at Tilston as we approached Shocklach and after the long straight run to Crewe By Farndon I guiltily bid goodbye to Richard who was riding home to Chester to complete nearly 70 miles. Nick and I managed nearly 50 miles.  As it turned out to be an excellent day out I would like to claim full credit but Clive is more deserving. Thanks for the route Clive (even if you don’t remember doing it) and for the cafe recommendation.

See route map and/or gpx file download

JM

No comments:

Post a Comment