Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday, 31 July 2026

30th July 2026: Llanbenwch

 Chirk (Y Waun) – Llanbenwch (which is so small it does not get a mention on the 1:50000 scale OS map).

I arrived at the café in Chirk to find 5x mod plus riders and no mods. Following some lively banter they went to sleep and I decided to ride solo.

Since the mods no longer use the opportunities Chirk has to offer to the west I decided to seize this one and headed for the castle. At the castle gates normal rides turn to the right and head down toward the A5. Not today! Straight up the hill followed by a left turn takes you to Tyn y groes, which does have a nice view across to the castle. Climbing steadily beyond this takes you up to the ridge road (386m) with excellent views on both sides, Dee valley to the North, Ceriog valley to the south

How do you get down off this ridge? The sign said Llangollen, 13%. I don’t believe that I thought, but I will try it.

The first section was very steep, very scary and was descended with the brakes clamped on. Then I went around a bend. I was faced with a very long, straight, very narrow, very vertical section. Examining Strava afterwards said -25.9%. I started down and soon thought better of it. I managed to stop and get off. I touched the front rim and burnt my finger. My trust in my bike’s ability to handle this descent failed and I walked until the hill eased a little. Call me a wimp, but I am still alive.

Through Llangollen and then over the Horseshoe pass allowed me to enjoy a proper descent. This was followed by that annoying little climb up to the roundabout. Straight over that and then down the Nant y Garth on the A525. This is really nice now it has been resurfaced.

1 mile past Llysfasi college and 1 ½ miles before Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd there is a café on a campsite (Llanbenwch). 20 miles done, this was my lunch stop.

After lunch I took the minor road across the vale to Pentrecelyn, then up to Graigfechan. Take the right turn and back up to the top of Nant y Garth on the minor road. Left at the top brings me down to Llanarmon-yn-Ial, then onto the B5430 and the A494 to Llanferres. Left at Cadole to Gwernaffield then right to drop into Mold.

When you throw in the 23 miles to the start that makes a total of 58.9 miles with 4465 feet of climbing.

An enjoyable ride was had by all.

Andy B

No comments:

Post a Comment