Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Thursday 18 April 2024

18th April 2024 : Tiverton (mod)

There seemed to be slight desperation and apprehension in Ray B’s email in which he was asking who will lead a ride today as Dave H was away. So, I couldn't let Ray be there with no ride leader could I?

I’d only ridden to the Station Cafe from the top of Kelsall Hill as I had driven over today not relishing an hour’s ride back in the advertised late afternoon rain. I was at the cafe first and a bit worried that I would be the only one. I needn't have worried because soon there were eleven of us - Ray B, Steve T, Mike B, Andy B, Alan, Shane, Matt, Jim, Trevor, and Dave P.

After a bit of discussion, Steve agreed that his ride to Goostrey was a bit far east given the afternoon rain’s 1500-1600 arrival, so I put forward a circuitous ride to Tiverton - no, not the Devonian town but that just south of Tarporley where the Lockgate cafe is nicely situated at the bottom of two hills.

So with the usual disarray, we set off up towards Hatchmere and Norley enjoying the first of many Road Closed signs and road repairs of the day. We turn right up Gallowshough Lane where there is supposed to be a Neolithic and Bronze Age round barrow in the field - but I think it has been ploughed out but there is a reference here

At the end of this tiny lane and after two cars and a big tractor, we re-group and turn right down and up Stoneyford Lane thence crossing the A556 road onto a short section of the A49. Passing Cheshire Polo Club, it’s into Longstone Lane bound for the Whitegate Way where we briefly meet Dave M and Andy W on their Bob Clift’s Ride check-out ride.

At the bottom of Whitegate Hill, we turn off right for the run down into Winsford passing the rock salt mine with its allied deep document storage business. Jim and Trevor decide to go their own way here as we circle the roundabout to kiss the edge of Glebe Green and Hebden Green areas of Winsford. It's now a run down Blakenden Lane behind Cheshire Constabulary’s HQ. This lane in common with many back lanes in Cheshire, has seen better days. A short stretch of the A54, quaintly called Chester Lane, takes us towards Little Budworth and Oulton Park motor racing track. It’s a short run now passing east of Tarporley and crossing the A49 and a fast descent after 22 miles to Tiverton Bottom and the Lockgate Cafe.

I had booked ahead for 12 riders and we were now only 9 riders, but our tables were reserved in this busy cafe. The food came fast enough and was judged to be of good quality. I was using the time at table to work out how I had misread my original route for today which meant that we had arrived at the cafe a little early and how I could now make a passable return ride. This is the problem with complex cross-over routes especially those assembled in a hurry. 

The problem had been that I had cobbled together today’s ride in about 10 minutes before I drove off to Kelsall - I didn’t want Ray to be leaderless and disappointed, or worse, that he would have to plan a route and lead it! So with a failing phone battery, I now cobbled a corrected return route back to Delamere. We set off up the A49 and into the back of Bunbury using the delightful Wyche Road village bypass and thence Bird Lane; lanes which were first introduced to me in 2009 by Ray Hardman no less. Here Andy, Shane and Matt struck out for home shortly after the group photo.

They are a trusting group!

At Alpraham, where we use a short section of the A51, we head north for Oulton Park again via Rushton. Crossing the A49 once again at Cotebrook, it’s a straight run back to Delamere with nearly 37 miles ridden. About 1430, a light rain is evident - so quite a bit earlier than advertised. I branch  left onto the A54 to Kelsall Hill and my car, where now the rain has upped its game, whereas the others head for Delamere Station car park and home.

I can’t remember the last time I led a Mod ride with 10 riders trusting in my routing. However it does make you appreciate how the Dave H’s and Steve's tirelessly put up and lead routes for your delectation. 

No one will mind if one of you were to offer to lead a ride - it’s how we all learnt to do it!


CA 

Photo AO

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks Clive for grasping the baton and ensuring that everyone was able to enjoy a ride. D H

    ReplyDelete