Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 5 April 2024

4th April 2024: Aldford (mod+)

Alison’s was our starting point today and roughly 14 of us turned up, which meant 3 groups formed with the fast boys being the largest group for a change. I had a local route in mind, which to be fair was all about the Xmas toastie at Lily’s cafe (although you don’t get the stuffing at this time of year-Lol.) My feeling was that my legs were more in tune with a Mod minus pace- Lol. This meant my group was small, with just Fiona, Elwyn & Steve T, as all of us, bar Elwyn of course, felt the same. However that later proved to be unfounded, as we finished with a good average speed considering it was a hill route. So I apologise to Ray and perhaps Matt, who were frightened off our group by my gloomy pace predictions.

My route had been carefully planned to avoid all the flooded lanes that I had come across the day before, which even applied to the direction we left Alison’s. 2 of the 5 routes out of Tattenhall had bad floods, which lead to a little confusion with DH, on the best way to get back to Alison’s. Anyway, off we trot towards Harthill (avoiding the very mucky and flooded Rocky lane) All the hilly bits were in the first 10 miles, so it wasn’t long before we were heading up, around Harthill ( the easier way) and down into Brown Knowl.

Shortly after crossing the main drag to Nantwich, we swung right in to a short tarmac goat track that surprised Steve, especially when after only a few hundred mtrs we had a nasty little kicker to climb. Clearly, Fiona felt the hill as I heard the shout of “13%”! To be fair, not as steep as I thought. Probably not worthy of the term ‘kicker’ -Lol. It was shortly after this that I mentioned to Steve that I had read a story in Cycling Plus, only that morning, about steep hills and a small cobbled lane in Whitby, with a 50%!!!!!!! incline. I always thought the steepest street in the UK was 40%- who knew- Lol.

Now whistling down the other side of Brown Knowl, having just passed Broxton Old Hall, we spray our way through our first large patch of run off water, which made me wonder what constitutes a ford (not the car Mr Hughes- Lol)? After a fairly quick circular loop that took us up over Bickerton Hill, we pass through Duckington and cross the A41 heading for Tilston on a favourite stretch, or at least to Fiona and I.

After a U turn at the Carden Arms, due to my brain being in neutral, we head toward Horton and the Shochlach road, which we join at The Bull pub ( now closed, like many these days). We decide to check out the River Dee in Farndon, which I was surprised to find looking normal. I had expected to see the meadows flooded, due to all the recent rain. No sooner at the traffic lights of Holt bridge,  I do a u turn back up the hill, much to Fiona’s dismay, as I hadn’t told her what we were up to. She was in the wrong gear of course and cursing me- Lol.

30 seconds later, I had to call Steve to remount his stead. He was already back up the hill and parking up at the rear of Lewis’s cafe. Clearly he did not know Lily’s and must have thought I said Lewis’s- Lol. This meant we fell back by 50 mtrs from E& F who had decided to suddenly set the pace and cracked on without us. My legs were shot after the pace I had set along the Shochlach road. This meant we spent the next 2 miles to Lily’s trying to catch them. Steve just about made it, but I had no hope.

Lily’s was not busy so we were able to get our orders in straight away and the sandwiches were truly lovely and very filling. We sat outside for the first time this year, although it did get a tad chilly toward the end. A lovely courtyard  to relax when the sun is out. It wasn’t long before we we discussing the rest of the route, which lead F& E to decide to cut for home as they had ridden to Alison’s and had 35 miles on the clock already. So they turned back to Holt, which meant their ride was roughly 43 miles, by the time they got to Lavister. 

Steve and I carry on the planned route, over Aldford bridge, where the River Dee was high this time and looking very muddy. We tried to push on with our cafe legs, which began to bite as I followed Steve up past Abbey Gate College, after enjoying the lovely half mile stretch of new-ish tarmac from Platt’s Lane.

We pass the multi coloured concrete hippo in the school playground of Saighton and start to accelerate as we swing through another lovely Westminster village and the home of the Brunning & Price office. Anyway, we arrive at Waverton and cross the A41 with no hold ups and soon pass the Crocky Trail, shortly after we turn right into Martin’s Lane, heading for Hargrove. 

Despite now heading directly south we weren’t feeling any headwind, which surprised me as there was supposed to be a light south westerly by 1 pm. This meant our finishing stretch to Tattenhall was easy enough, even though we still had a few miles to go. My route looped around Tattenhall, past the ice cream farm, which seemed to disappoint Steve. I got the feeling he would have preferred the direct route into Tattenhall, after he asked if the loop around was an add on. 

In actual fact his total of 38 miles was less than the expected 40. I had of course forgotten the 2+ mile return trip to my house from Alison’s- Lol. So I left Steve at Alison’s, where he was going to try and fix the annoying squeak we had to listen to, all the way from Lily’s. At least I could tell if he was dropping back, if I couldn’t hear him- Lol. Mind you, when he was on the front, I was getting target fixation, as I kept looking for his squeak - Lol. He had plenty of time to kill as he had to wait for DH to get back. so it gave him something to do- Lol.


Photos by Neil T

I then rode through the longest flood in the county, for the second time that day- Lol.  Frog Lane has had a 40 mtr flood since Xmas. Fortunately it never gets more than a few inches deep and no pot holes. When I rode through it the previous day I got a clap from a women waiting in her car, as she watched me pedal through- Lol. As usual I have digressed a fair bit- Lol. I got home with 40 miles on the clock and an average speed of 14.6 mph, which with all things considered was a lot better than we expected.

What a lovely day for it as well, probably the best all year so far, as there was no wind and mild. Till next time folks.

PS- For Steve T

That road I was trying to tell you about (Britains highest road and tarmac cul-de-sac). It’s in Cumbria and starts near Knock ( where ever that is). A 5 mile climb up to a 850 mtr summit (radar station) Not only is it a cul-de-sac that deters cars, but it is not actually open to traffic, without a permit. However, it is open to bikes, as an official bridleway. Would make an interesting add on to a special ride, but a toughie ( I can hear DH cringing - Lol- Lol)  

See route map and/or gpx file download

All the best

Neil


No comments:

Post a Comment