Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Sunday 11 August 2024

8th August 2024: Utkinton (mod)

Mike was on a Welsh train which was running very late, because copper power cables had been stolen. Dave Matthews was not staying out, and Jim and Trevor were too nesh to contemplate probable bad weather later. So it was that my plans for a ride to Whitchurch, already substituted for Aston because of the likely wet afternoon, were binned. I decide to join Trevor and Jim on their loop to Alpraham and back home, intended to leave them before Waverton in order to return to Rose Farm for lunch, and await Steve Tan’s return from the brisk ride.

We headed in the direction of Oulton Park under the assured leadership of Trevor. It was great to relax without having to concentrate on the route, and it gave me a chance to catch up with Jim. I had worked with Jim at Frodsham school and he had introduced me to the club after bumping into them after retiring. I had just started to reduce my hours so was able to join them back in 2008 or so. It made me reflect that although some of us seldom meet outside of cycle rides, we still have friendships within the club which we really value. I can’t remember our exact route to Alpraham, but it was all very pleasant as we headed for Bunbury. We were just below Beeston Castle when Mike rang as arranged. He had managed to ride out near to Tattenhall after his delayed train journey, so we agreed to meet at the Ice Cream Farm. We were beginning to worry about his whereabouts, when he appeared from the wrong direction. I don’t know if he had just put an extra couple of miles in on purpose, as he claimed, or The Great Ancient Orienteer had suffered a Biden moment. Anyway, all had ended well and we headed for Hargrave. Mike and I took our leave at Green looms, and we passed Walk Mill before also passing Dave Matthew’s home at Oscroft. I was envious of an elderly runner who was still able to keep at it up the long stretch to Willington corner. It’s always a bit of a slog up to Rose farm whatever your direction of approach, so a friendly welcome and decent sustenance was appreciated. Mike tucked into a Big Breakfast and my filled toast alternative with options was also far from an athlete’s diet plan. We talked about our rides in the Ribble and Hodder valleys, Mike having ridden from Preston in his earlier pre-easy riders’ years. I remember originally exploring the area with my young family transported in a twin cylinder 602cc Citroen Dyane! Our very first Special Ride was on a weekend and started in Ribchester. One more recent memory was of a route recced firstly by Steve Tan, Keith and myself. Steve broke his gear hanger but we managed to rig something up in order to get back. We decided that the climbing through Gisburn Forest and above was too extreme for an easy rider’s day out. Later, I decided to offer the ride anyway, as it would hopefully be challenging and memorable and with a much easier return route. It was a very scenic and exhilarating ride on the day. I do remember George not having enough gears up from Stocks Reservoir, Bob Ingram dismounting because his heart monitor was telling him that he was about to blow up, Keith blaming me and a passing car for stopping his ascent, and Bryan Mac looking worryingly grey of complexion when we finally completed our extremely fast descent to Clapham. I also remember the Fast Lads perched high on Bowland Knotts with expansive views stretching from the Yorkshire Dales to Pendle Hill. So, it had been worth a punt, but I may have needed my ride leader’s insurance cover if Bryan Mac had had a heart attack! Anyway, not many miles covered today, but it was great to reminisce before Mike returned to Shotton to catch his train back. Stimulating rides providing memorable moments are part of what we are about.

Photo by Mike G

DH


No comments:

Post a Comment