Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 26 June 2015

25th June 2015: Calverhall (brisk)

I wanted a “recovery” ride after Ivan’s fast 100 miler to Macclesfield at 16.3 mph on Tuesday. Ray was back from Spain and, after 10,000+ metres of climbing the Spanish hills in 30˚+C heat; he also wanted a recovery ride. So with John and Tom we set off out via Eccleston bound for the Old Jack at Calverhall.
A left in Rossett takes out to Holt and on, via Wetreins Lane, to Tilston. Grange Lane takes us back to the A41 that we cross back and forth via No Mans Heath. Onwards through Bradley to Oldhall Street to a run down to Grindley Brook. A saunter along the canal then takes us into Whitchurch town. Out on the Alkington road, we veer off to Prees then Prees Higher Heath. Taking Prees Road, we edge up to Calverhall at 39 miles, but not before my front wheel slowly deflates to spoil the otherwise idyllic cycle through lane after lane.
The Old Jack has never disappointed and we all opt for the generous plate of Steak and Onion baguette. The return is replotted since there were issues*** with the inner tube that I used to repair the front flat and it was a bit under-inflated. So a right in Ightfield takes up a truly delightful run to Burleydam via the Combermere Arms to Aston. I opt to go back via Marbury, Bickley, and Bickerton to get to the Ice Cream Farm for 16:00. Suitably refreshed we roll back into Chester via Saighton where I pick up a nasty sting in my neck, and Tom's front wheel has a slight buckle. Hopefully that's the end of issues for the day. A 75 miler through the cream of Cheshire and Shropshire lanes; you’ll not find better!
See route map and/or gpx file download.
CA

*** There were two problems with Yak inner tubes. After Tom’s tyre blow out on Tuesday, he fitted one of my Yak tubes. In Winsford, 30 mins later, he replaces the worn tyre with new one at Cyclone bike shop. They then had to replace the Yak tube since the valve fell apart on reflation. On the ride above, upon reflation of my slow, I couldn’t unscrew the pump flexible tube from the valve stem. I had to snap the valve stem and the broken part of the valve stem remained inside my Topeak Race flexible pump connector making it unusable; yet the tube valve held for the 40 miles home. I phoned Merlin Cycles who immediately credited me for the 5 that I had bought, and not wanting me to return the unused ones. I then ordered some Contis from them. Good customer service from Merlin Cycles. PS: I managed to get the valve bits out of my pump head when I got home as well so it is useable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment