Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 20 October 2023

19th October 2023: Hawarden (mod +)

Yet again Cleo’s was shut, so Maggie’s was the venue for today & very nice it was too. Maggie’s appears to have new owners, as Mohammed seems to be running the show?

Back to the day. I had a plan that would hopefully avoid the mucky lanes that I have been encountering through out the county of late, with the intention of getting back to Holt by 2:30, due to expected rain, which we achieved- Lol. So, I offered Chocks Away Cafe as a destination for a Mod + ride.  Steve Hu, Alan & non Elec Ray jumped on board & no sooner said, we were off. Everybody got sorted quickly in fact. No doubt all thinking about the big rain threat, due by 3pm. Steve T was leading the other group south approximately 7 of them I think. Dave M was going his own way. He needed to get back, as he had a lot to do at home. He left us, after Holt bridge, as we turned left up toward Aldford, which as I write, is probably flooded now. At least he got 200 mtrs in with us- Lol.

We set off for an unintentional fast start, as I normally head into wind, when I start my routes, but today I thought heading north and jumping on the Greenway would be an advantage and it sure was. This caused a few calls to slow down (at least it was a change from the usual “how far are we from our lunch stop” - Lol). That said, we weren’t really working, as it was virtually downhill, with a tail wind all the way to Meadow Lea (tapping out tempo pace really, honest Gov- Lol) Ok yes, in record time (oops- Lol )

So it was,  that we were on the Greenway in a flash, although not before we had a pit stop for what appeared to be a WI meeting. Our resident chatter box (Steve Hu, for those who don’t know- Lol) was stripping off for his 1st costume change & an early lunch break as well. Not only that, I returned to see what the hold up was and Steve/Alan are in the middle of War & Peace (couldn’t help thinking it gets dark at 7pm- Lol). Eventually, we make good progress on the Greenway, mainly due to Alan then charging along like a steam train (think he was trying to make up for time lost- Lol). 

We arrive at Blacon and head off toward the customary ‘Saltney Ferry crossing’, over the river Dee. It was then that Steve took the oportunity to fill us in on a recent suicide attempt. Going by the police incident vehicles on the other side of the bridge, they were still dragging the river. Apparently somebody witnessed a person, foaming at the mouth and then leap into the river Dee and literally disappeared. Despite the somber nature of the bridge crossing. It reminded us all of where the wind was coming from and hence our swift progress to this point. We turn right again, after passing between the police vehicles (in the lay-by, which they have laid a tarmac surface on now, BTW) 

Again we are with the wind for the final stretch into the cafe at the BAE wing factory. We only took 1hr 15 to do 20 miles, so perhaps the pace was a bit racey- Lol. We got lucky, arriving at the cafe, just before the rush and what a rush. There must have been 2/3 dozen turning up for lunch. It was nice to see a disabled party taking advantage of the cafe, which has a lot to offer groups who perhaps don’t have the same opportunities the likes of me and you have. We were served very quickly, by the chef no less -Lol.

Conversation was varied to the point that I can’t remember most of it, although Ray & I got on to retirement, as we both realised we took it early, we were equally curious as to why. Steve mentioned the Red Arrow connection with the cafe, which I then expanded on, because BAE built the Hawk aircraft that the Red Arrows fly hence, the connection is big despite not actually building the aircraft at Broughton.

Anyway, history lesson over and we are off again, although not before I had to show Ray how to tell the difference between the mens toilet & any other gender- to be fair it is difficult to spot the big shape of a man on the door, any blind person could miss it- Lol. We also had to oblige Steve with his team photo, as he wanted an aeroplane in the background. Those who don’t know Steve well, he likes his aeroplanes, which makes me smile, as I spent 40 years working on them- Lol. He could have picked one with wings on though - Lol. 

Photo by Steve "best photo of the week" Hu

Off we trot again, heading for a nice climb up through Hawarden & beyond. However, no sooner on the only busy stretch of the route, I get a puncture (road to Sandycroft & the worst place to fix a puncture, with trucks thrashing by and no kerb or verge, due to the flooded ditch). Not that my best pal Steve Hu would know. He decided to abandon me and head home, in order to drop off his costume change from earlier. I didn’t need any help mind, but it was nice to get the moral support from the other team!! members - thanks Allan & Ray- Lol.  Tiny spec of glass was the culprit, which was particularly annoying, as I had my first puncture, this year, only last week (2 in a week, when is the 3rd -Lol?)

No sooner on our way, wondering where we might meet Steve, when he comes into view at the top of the climb into Hawarden (turns out he couldn’t make it any further - cream crackered, so he decided to call his wife out to come and pick up his leotard, which he had removed at Meadow Lea -  what a tart, apparently it was too heavy to carry any more-Lol). We fixed the puncture by the way Steve- Lol,Lol.

We quickly set about the assent up to Dobbs Hill, or at least Ray did - Lol. We were avoiding the usual off road short cut track to the bridge crossing over the A55. Once on top & on the other side of the bridge crossing we now set about one of my favourite descents toward Kinnerton. A positively invigorating stretch to be honest, with the intention of picking up a very nice lane that would lead us virtually to the bottom of Marford Hill.

However, not before a minor hiccup, when my ‘wing man’ failed to inform me that we should have turned left, but soon rectified, only for him to lead us into a big flood on Rosemary Lane. My original route would have avoided this flood, but the local! man (wing man Steve) advised that we should avoid Burton, in favour of said lane, due to floods- Lol - Lol- Lol (just don’t make wing men like they used to- Lol)

Hiccup up over and now almost in Rossett we cross the main Chester to Wrexham drag and head up Marford Hill, with cries of “are we heading to the top”, “no" says I, we are heading for Borras, around the back and past the bottom of Pistol Hill, which Steve pointed out and led me to enlighten the group to the occasion when I tested all 3 of the Whyte bike range (at that time and from Alfie Jones). I took each bike on a lap of Pistol Hill, via Marford Hill, which was a fairly tough few laps, hence, my winter bike is the yellow Whyte, you see me on, not that I bought it from AJ’s - wink wink.

I digress again. We are now climbing up toward Borras for our final run into Holt when the rain starts. This causes Alan & Steve to pull over for their rain jackets and another costume change. The ride was now becoming more akin to a Strictly Come Dancing event , with all the costume changes and all the while, I’m standing in the rain waiting for them. I wouldn’t normally mind, but we were only a mile from Cleo’s, where they were both park; I had another 10 miles to go in the rain- Lol. As much as I would like to leave this bit out. I have to admit that my wing man did offer to drive me home- bless him. ( didn’t that spoil the slant of my character assignation - Lol). 

Suffice it to say, I didn’t stop to say cheerio, once in Holt, although the rain had almost stopped. I thought I was running from the rain, as the sky was really dark, so I kicked on. As I ascended Wetreins Lane, I came across Fiona & Elwyn going the other way. I later discovered they had been on a little spin to the Lost Barn cafe. I got home, after no more rain with 54 miles on the clock.

A much better ride than originally expected, as the forecast did not really materialise. So all good, despite the efforts of the pantomime twins, who shall remain nameless- Lol- Lol. Great day out with plenty of laughs- thanks gents- till next time- Lol,Lol, Lol.

PS. Blog done in 2 days- for My Wing man’s benefit- Lol.

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment