Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Thursday 3 October 2024

3rd October 2024 : Whixall Marina (brisk)

A dry day was in prospect as I set out from Chester on a cool morning. I briefly met up with Trevor and Jim at Churton arriving at Maggie’s around 1000. A fair few were already supping their hot drinks as more riders turned up. 

The Brisk group were somewhat disorganised as no one had a route ready. I said I’d brought one to Whixall on my phone and emailed it to Nick who tried to upload it to his Garmin - with little success. By the time we had sorted ourselves out, the rest of the riders had slipped away and it was well past 1030.

So uploading the first part of the route into my neural satnav, Shane, Ken, Nick and I set off bound for Borras sliding by the enormous quarry. A quick ride down Borras Park Road led us to Cefn Road and thence to King’s Mills in the dip by the river on the old A525. A short uphill section of A525 takes off right towards Sontley. A left along the tiny Woodhouse Lane brings us back to the A525 again at Cock Bank.

The routing now is straightforward in that it's the A525 then the A539 taking us in and out of Overton and Penley before delivering us at Hanmer. These roads were a delight to ride being mainly smooth and devoid of traffic. We dive down passing Hanmer Mere and out via Arowry to Bettisfield and Northwood. A left then takes us to Dobson’s Bridge and Whixall Marina cafe - a firm favourite now as it is an oasis in a dearth of eating places in this area.

The staff are always pleased to see us and hot food comes quickly in the form of the popular thick mushroom soup combo whilst I take a cheeseburger. Given that we have arrived at 1230 after 26 miles we're soon away on a northerly track. We take in Fenn’s Bank, Redbrook, Higher Wych and thence to Malpas. 

Just before Malpas, we stop to try and sort out why my front derailleur won’t move across to the big chain ring. Try as we might, I’m now left with riding all the way home on the lower gear setting. At Tilston Nick peels off, then Ken dives down Wetreins Lane and Shane rides onto Stretton. I ride on to Chester via Coddington and Churton.

I decide to take my bike in to a cycle repairer to get the front and also the rear shifting sorted out. So I think where can I go and decide to go to the bike shop off Sealand Road in Minerva Avenue - I think it was called the Bike Hub. I knew where it was was - but it’s no more! What to do - I don't fancy Evans Cycles or the Bike Factory, so decide to go home, get changed and drive the bike to Graham Weigh Cycles in Shotton fully expecting to pick it up sometime next week.

In the shop, Mark takes my bike from me then put’s it on the stand and proceeds to sort the transmission issues out there and then. A replacement rear derailleur cable is also diagnosed as necessary which explains why shifting hasn’t been smooth recently. So within 20 minutes or so all is rectified at a reasonable price. I have used them before and will again as their customer service is excellent.

All round for me it was 76 miles today with the official route being just a fast 44 miles. It was enjoyable being out with the lads on dry, smooth roads (for the most part) with little traffic and the bright autumnal countryside to savour. 

See route map and/or gpx file download

CA

No comments:

Post a Comment