Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Sunday 24 June 2012

21st June 2012: Malpas

I had suspected that numbers might be somewhat depleted today as four of our regulars are currently traversing the Alps, Andy is cycling in Croatia and Clive, who led last week's ride, had mentioned that he was away for the following two weeks.  Also, the weather forecast was not great with only a suggestion of some dry weather later in the day.
My suspicions proved well founded, as I was the only CER representative at Utkington today.  A fellow cyclist, who introduced himself as Roy, was sitting there when I arrived.  Engaging in conversation he told me that he had cycled over from Runcorn.  He had cycled with us once before a few weeks ago when the majority of the club were cycling in the Peak District, led by Dave Heath, Roy had joined Dave M and Ray who had offered an alternative ride on that occasion.
As the rain came down and it became apparent we were the only two brave/foolish souls out today, Roy decided to call it a day and head for home.  I was tempted to follow suit.  However, I was conscious of the need to get some miles on the bike.  I have entered next Sunday's Bert Bailey 100 mile Vets event and am not as prepared as last year when it formed part of my build up to my End2End.  So attempting to ignore the light but persistent rain I set off for Malpas through Tattenhall and Farndon.
I had lunch at the Old Fire Station cafe, now rebranded as a "Bistro" but still offering, among its more exotic fare, such old stalwarts as baked potato and toasted panini’s, both for under a fiver and therefore comparing well with pub prices.  After lunch I turned north again through Tilston and then more or less followed the Cheshire Cycleway as far as Huxley before cycling the last few miles through Duddon and back to Rose Farm.  It did eventually stop raining after lunch!
GW

No comments:

Post a Comment