Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Thursday 13 July 2023

13th July 2023: Ellesmere (mod)

I sensed that today was not going to be straightforward. Steve Tan had to rush to meet me on time, as the early morning arrangements for dropping of his wife's car at the garage had resulted in the car being in one town and the lift home waiting at a different garage in a different town! John Mills had contacted me on Wednesday to say that Facebook seemed to indicate that “Cleopatra's” was not yet ready to open, despite their previous assurances to me. When I picked up his message it was too late to ring the cafe direct or communicate alternative arrangements for the morning. Two calls by Steve on the drive to Holt confirmed that Cleopatra's wasn't quite ready for opening, and that Lewis's of Farndon would  be happy to have us. On passing Alan on his bike, we told him to turn back up the hill from the Dee bridge, and we would tell any riders at Cleopatra's to join him at Lewis's. I even had a notice with me to stick on the outside of Cleopatra's in order to redirect late arrivals. When we got to the triangle in Holt many of our riders were already sitting at tables outside “Maggie's”, supping coffee in the sun. Instead of phoning Alan we turned the Berlingo around, and went to tell him, but he was already eating and drinking. We finally parked at Holt a little late, as we had already had to wait at the traffic lights on the bridge three times. I think we all know that these lights are never on green when you approach them!  We settled on my offer to head for the Red Lion at Ellesmere, but I didn't have a properly resolved route, there and back, in my head. Not very Bryan Wadeish! 

Clive joined our moderate group of Steve Tan, Ray, Mike Gilbert, Andy Barber, Trevor, Alan, Dave Matthews and myself. Unfortunately, Dave Pipe had a saddle issue, so didn't ride with us. Nick and Andy Whitgreave had ridden out for coffee with us, but were not riding with the group. Understandably, we headed out a little late, for Shocklach, Threapwood, and Hanmer. Dave Matthews peeled off along the way. We ran into a little rainfall around Little Arowry, but it stayed warm and dry for the rest of the day. It was interesting to hear from Ray about his Scandinavian trip, but I couldn't be persuaded that a Cruise ship holiday would be my cup of tea. From Northwood we reached Lyneal, and then took the most direct route past Newton Mere before hitting the main road into Ellesmere, and arriving at the Red Lion. I was about to order food, when I realised that Mike was not with us! On ringing him, it turned out that he was in the centre of town, unaware that our destination was the Red Lion. We sat out at the back where it was warm and bright, and the food and service well up to scratch.

Our route back was via the very pleasant back lane which is the left turn after the cemetery, and heads up to the Penley road. Unfortunately for me, I was stung badly on the lip, by a wasp I presume, and for days after I've looked like someone who has spent fifteen rounds with Brian London. I then welcomed Clive's suggestion to head west of Penley on a lovely little lane alongside Lionlane Wood finishing up at Sandy Lane on the Overton Road. Andy's crank fell off , but he told me to carry on, as he would soon fix it and catch up. What dawned on me a little later, that neither Andy or myself knew at that moment where Clive was intending to go next! At Lightwood Green we turned right off the main road to Holly Bush. I started to receive phone calls, but was having trouble in trying to reply, and didn't want to hold the group up in order to speak to a house insulation firm, or the like. Then the penny dropped, and I stopped  in order to get through to Andy, who had not caught us up as expected. Andy wasn't too far behind as it turned out, and he had heard me talk of returning via Tilston, so said that he would try to catch us up there. 

Unfortunately, Mike and Trevor had already started north on our normal direct route back to Farndon, as I directed us to “carry on”on the Malpas road ( by now the day had become like a “Carry on Cycling” film). So it was, that the reduced peloton turned left at  Cuddington Green, and eventually arrived at  The Lost Barn just north of Tilston. I rang Andy, and he had decided to ride straight up to Farndon instead! For once we gave the Lost Barn a miss, as Andy would not be joining us, and Steve had to get back to the garage near Runcorn in order to pick up his car. Mike did well to turn out and complete the ride having to cope with a combination of serious issues. We hope he obtains successful treatment. Despite the Matt Hancockian feel to the day, the route was largely quiet, scenic and enjoyable. The coffee was very good at Maggies, as was the lunch, and the camaraderie was as enjoyable as ever when we were actually together! 42 miles covered.

DH

Photo by AO


See route map and/or gpx file download 

No comments:

Post a Comment