Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 24 November 2023

23rd November 2023: Mickle Trafford ('Lone Ranger' - mod)

There I was patiently waiting for the rest of CER to arrive at Rose Farm, when I began to suspect that everybody had been frightened off today, owing to the strong winds and forecasts of 65kph gusts. However, after a brief message to Steve Hu, I discovered that everybody was at the Pursuit cafe (Hawarden). 

Well! I was flabbergasted, as I couldn’t believe that all 10 had got the venue wrong, it beggars belief- Lol Lol.

Not deterred and still trying to come to terms with how anybody could make such a stupid mistake, I got ready for my Lone Ranger ride. Now resigned to the prospect of a Billy No Mates lunch, I set off on the Mod+ route I originally planned- Lol. My route was very particular, as I had carefully plotted a way around the Westerly winds, as best I could, which meant a hilly start along the Sandstone Ridge, via Quarry Bank & Tirley Lane for starters. As expected, the Sandstone Ridge provided great protection from the wind, which was even better, climbing through and around Helsby. I then head south, slightly downhill to Mouldsworth.

My first leg into the wind was also downhill until I took one of my favourite lanes (Nortons Lane). This lane turned out to be even better than expected, as I was tracking at 45 degrees to the wind with a decent hedgerow for protection, all the way up, until a house got in my way- Lol.

A huge wooden house, on a wide load trailer was basically jammed, in the Lane, trying to turn up an even narrower lane, with half a dozen frustrated motorist on either side. Luckily for me, I could manhandle my bike past the obstacles- Lol. For all I know, they could still be there, as the situation looked impossible.

No sooner past and at the top of the lane, deciding to not go left, south toward the Bluebell at Barrowmead. I opt to experience the full extent of the wind by going straight on at the crossroads and onto the main road to Mickle Trafford. I had changed my mind deciding to stop at Meadow Lea cafe. Wow! That wind was tough- Lol.

I was glad to get sat down at Meadow Lea and promptly tucked into a prawn jacket potato and a lovely conversation with my mates- Lol. Underway again, I was looking forward to the canal road from Waverton, which I knew would be a fast cross tailwind to Huxley and even better to Brassey Green, as the wind was more of a north westerly by now.

After 6 lovely fast miles I turn right down to the Shady Oak, on the canal side (I noticed as I passed, it is now just ‘Shady’, since the new occupants took over). I decided to head up and around Beeston, in order to take Peckforton Road, which gets great wind protection from a north westerly wind and I was disappointed, despite it being slightly uphill all the way to Bulkely. I had a relatively easy ride across to Harthill and an even easier ride over the top and downhill into Tattenhall.

I got home by 2 pm after 50 miles total. The company and banter today was particularly good, although I did find it hard hearing my fellow cyclists in the wind. At times I wondered if anybody was behind me. Come to think of it, nobody came through to take a turn on the front - surely I wasn’t really on my own  -Lol Lol Lol Lol.

Neil.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment