Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Friday 29 December 2023

28th December 2023: Tilston (mod)

The venue on yet another windy Thursday was changed last minute from a shut Walk Mill to Meadow Lea. Fortunately, it appeared that everyone who intended to be out had got the message. Despite the high winds, likelihood of mid-morning heavy rain, and it still being the Christmas holiday period, several members had made the effort. Steve Tan turned up in his attractive six-cylinder BMW Z3 roadster and kindly bought me a coffee. Following his recent floor routine on ice near Venetian Marina, he was recovering, but far from ride ready. Dave Matthews has been a consistent venue attender through recent weeks of ice, flood and storms, but wouldn’t be out for the day.  Matt was riding having recently returned from cycling challenges abroad. Also riding were Clive, Big Ray, Alan and myself. It was also great to see Roy being able to make it.

There wasn’t a properly thought-out route available, but I fancied that Malpas via Tattenhall would work, with the familiarity of a large section of the ride being the same as I had covered with George last week. George wouldn’t be bored by the repetition as he was away in Skipton. We headed for Hargreave via Waverton and Greenlooms. Dave Matthews accompanied us before pealing off for home as planned. We were suffering heavy rain and fierce winds, when Roy was unfortunate to suffer a puncture. He insisted that we carry on without him and that he would catch us up later or phone his wife to drive out and pick him up. He already had his wheel out, and as it was a front wheel, and we were not in the Welsh mountains, I could see that having four people standing around getting wetter and colder was not strictly necessary.  Nevertheless, I for one think we should have stayed. Roy has gone the extra mile to help in poor weather in the past. I apologised to him later, and  I won’t leave anyone again, unless going for help, or to return with the Berlingo. Come to think of it, like Roy, I insisted on people carrying on when my wheel rim exploded some weeks ago, but I was able to spend three hours reading The Times and eating biscuits in a couple’s sunny conservatory. Not quite the same! 

My newish OS map had almost dissolved in the rain, so I was grateful for Clive’s knowledge of the lanes meaning that I didn’t have to fiddle about checking the way forward to Tattenhall. Last week Brown Knowl and Duckington had been my route to Tilston, and on to Malpas via a circuitous route through Threapwood. I felt that even heading straight to Malpas from Tilston on this route would involve climbing and be slower. However, just like last week the direct route to the A41 was closed, presumably flooded, so Clive led us to Milton Green, Handley, Coddington and Barton in a reverse copy of the return route with George last week. This alternative cannot be recommended in normal circumstances, because the A41 stretch does feel authentically dangerous on a bicycle. Still, it is an attractive and quiet little link otherwise. 

Malpas was no longer first choice for lunch. I know that Alan was feeling the wet and cold like myself. Ray was still trying to convert me to the attractions of cruises. I must admit that this aroused images of a hot Caribbean holiday for a few minutes, which diverted my attention from my wet discomfort. Mind you Ray probably had cold Denmark in mind, with Wakefield’s own pub singer Jane McDonald as the wailing, on board entertainment! Thankfully, the rain eventually stopped for the day. The Lost Barn’s coffee aromas were enticing, but the place was amazingly busy, so we finished up at The Carden Arms. Our gloves were temporarily warmed, but not dried, on the hearth of the open fire. Calls were made to check up on Roy. He had fixed his puncture, rode to his van at Mickle Trafford and driven home. I look forward to him having much better days with us in future. The staff at the Carden Arms  were great and the food fine.  I got a little mixed up over where Matt had conducted his recent cycle tour, being at the opposite end of the table. It is amazing how he has pushed on his progress from serious injury. You will have to ask him yourself about the details of his solo winter adventure. Clive had to take off smartly for a haircut in Chester.


Photo by Alan O

We returned on a quick and direct route, which was mainly wind assisted. Alan and Matt departed at Farndon, and Ray and myself rode on to Churton, Waverton and Christleton. We took the Vicars Cross route with Ray operating the pedestrian lights, whilst I was directing a car heading toward me that was in the wrong turning lane. The right turn lanes here are unusually juxtaposed, and need amending. I wonder if Jim has a council number that works? We were soon passing Ivan’s house. Thankfully, he was not falling out of a tree wrestling with Christmas lights this year. Ray and I were glad to get back to Meadow Lea. I just had time to race back to get Harry the dog out before it got dark. Coffee and cake had to wait!  Many thanks to my comrades on the day for making the effort to make a go of it when once again the weather was not enticing, and Station Lane flooded by the time we returned.

See route map and/or gpx file download

DH

No comments:

Post a Comment