Today’s ride, I’ve decided to call it the ride of the pimple, as years ago, Dave Pipe said to me as we climbed yet another small hill that these are only pimples, not really hills. But I definitely thought they are hills.
So, we met at Tattenhall and, yes, I remembered it was here
and not Tarporley ha ha. I rode over from Mickle Trafford, meeting Ray S on the way, so
the usually boring 10 miles flew by – literally. Ray is definitely no slouch. At
the café, another good turnout plus Clive in his ‘going out’ gear as he wasn’t
joining us today. So we sorted ourselves out into two groups, which I really
think is getting more difficult due to the fact age seems to be affecting
certain members, or the early onset of dementia. So, if anyone reading this is
thinking who or what cycling day is he on about, there’s your answer.
So my group consisted of tour guide, leader or whatever we called him through the day Steve T, Anthony, Mike G, who has now fully converted to being a Welsh citizen; he won’t go over 20 mph even on the fast descents.
We had the destination of Whitchurch and the Black or Brown Bear pub - I can never remember which it is (see early dementia), for lunch a destination. We have returned to it many a time over the years. We discussed over food how, as a club, we have changed habits from many members having a beer or 3 to now having mint Green tea or alcohol-free beer, which ten years ago would of been unheard of.
On the route out from Tattenhall we took in Tilston, Horton
Green. In fact looking at the map I should have called today’s ride ‘the ride
of the greens’ as we also passed through Tallarn Green and Horse Green, Hanmer
past another old favourite lunch stop the Hanmer Arms. Anyway, we carried on and
this is where the pimples statement comes from, as Anthony mentioned about how
many small hills we had encountered and would carry on through the ride. I also
thought the same. Well, my legs did have a word with my brain saying it seems
like a lot of climbing today. We carried onto Whitchurch without any issues
except, like Steve Hughes, Steve T was having the same trouble with his Wahoo
acting like a petulant child, sending us down or up wrong roads.
So, after a decent lunch we started out for the return to Tattenhall via lanes taking us past Whitchurch golf course and numerous mere sounding names on to Hetherson Green and then towards Bickerton and oh, another pimple… Harthill heading back towards our return destination.
The route from cafe and back was a pleasant 37 miles at a half decent pace with, as mentioned, plenty of pimples. Also, as I have mentioned in the past concerning the mods, which I suppose we were technically, that we didn’t encounter anything to report. Not like the mods of old, when every ride we reported a real calamity of sorts. Is this due to there being more carers in the club these days, or is it the fact we all now have a check list before we leave our homes and when we leave the lunch venues?
Once again today’s ride was carried out with good company a
good lunch and a good route so thanks to all. On a foot note I hope Neil had
control of his posse of delinquent petulant members.

No comments:
Post a Comment