It seems like an age since I wrote a blog and indeed it was back in June. Weather, vacations and my son's two weddings kept me away -yes, two! -mad, but fabulous.
I was glad I made it in time for my local meet venue. So, my head count was approximately 12, which included a new member (Alvise- new to me at least) who subsequently joined my merry band for the day. The only fast boy there was Clive, who was in his civvies and not cycling.
The rest of my group became Ray aka ‘Rapha Ray’, Alan & Steve H aka the ‘Chuckle Brothers’, Kevin aka the ‘Very Nice Man’(complete with a brand new Giant bike, only purchased the day before), Chris aka ‘Last minute.com’, and yours truly of course.
I had a short, small hills favourite ride in mind that was aimed at dodging the expected southerly winds and also get us back to Alison’s for lunch. This was due to the original forecast being for rain at 2pm, which didn’t subsequently materialise- Lol. However, Steve had ridden in some 20 miles, so he was keen on a short one back to Alison’s, which clearly suited the rest of the group as well.
We set off left out of Alison’s and out through Carden Park for maximum wind protection- Lol. A left turn at the Carden Arms saw us heading out towards Malpas, but after a half mile I lead the group left, up through one of my regular lanes (Scar Ln) up to Hampton Heath.
We had pushed against the wind and hills to this point and then turned left at Hampton Heath via Bickerton Lane, which although still up hill to the Wrexham Road, did lead us into the very fast blast along the Wrexham Road for a half mile until the speed camera at the Bickerton Poacher. We then veered left in order to follow the lane along the Peckforton ridge line and past the castle of the same name heading for Bunbury.
I then surprised a few of the group by taking the little known lane of Wyche Road, which despite my warning shout, “You’ll need your small ring at the bottom”, it still caught at least one out. I heard somebody curse and some rough sounding gear changes. As we popped out from the side of the church and turn left at The Dysart Arms, I heard somebody mention “ah, now I know where I am”- Lol. Just a mile further on at Tilstone Fearnall, immediately after the lock, again I shouted “small ring”, but it still caught CB1 out. We all staggered up the wicked little kicker and pulled over after CB2 screamed out “something” - Lol.
After CB1 reset his chain, we all got going again and sped down hill to the A51 crossing. This lead us down toward Oulton Park and my favourite stretch of lovely smooth lanes, especially so today with a cross tailwind. After a mile or two we head left up through Eaton and on into the back of Tarporley via Royal Lane, whilst passing Macdonald Portal golf course.
We negotiate the familiar chicane crossing in Tarporley (opposite the garage) and head slightly up hill for our next little dash down hill into Brassy Green. Then suddenly I got told to knock of the pace, because one or two were struggling. However, I’m not so sure that was the case. My reasoning for this was the person, who shall remain nameless and shouted at me to “knock of the pace”, almost immediately, passed me and then romped up the hill all the way to Beeston castle after passing the Shady pub of course. He had a cocky smile on his face when I got there, behind the others BTW. And did’t deny my, out of breath, accusation “you made me slow down just so you could have your moment” - Lol,Lol.
We turned right for another favourite down hill towards Tattenhall, which has often triggered a bit of a dash in the past. There was still a fair headwind, even though we were in the lea of Peckforton castle, so my pace was not so quick, which explains how Lastminute.com came past me. I mean! He is about half my age, maybe more in fact-Lol.
After jumping onto his back wheel and following through the S’s, as I call them, I sat up and declared “that’s enough for me” and watched Chris pull away. After half mile everybody was regrouping and we turned right up past the Ice Cream farm, which prompted a little conversation about the last time we found ourselves there and decided to go in for an ice cream by the lake ( it was 33 degrees that day, if I remember rightly and it went down very nicely indeed-Lol)
On this occasion we rode past and crossed straight over the next junction, where upon RR queried if we were stopping at Old Ma’s (Camden’s now). He obviously hadn’t got the memo- Lol. I remarked that “this way was preferable to riding through Tattenhall, direct into the wind and more interesting". Three miles later, after passing the large wooden squirrel carving outside the school, we were pulling up at Alison’s for lunch just before 1pm.
I said my goodbyes to the boys, as I felt I needed to get home and have lunch with Paula. This was because I had got back late the night before, after a few days away playing golf - I needed some smarty points- Lol.
Another great ride with CER, if a touch short at 33 miles - 37 for me by the time I got home- Lol and an AS of 15.3 mph for the group. There were a couple in the group that ended up with 70+ miles I believe, so well done guys. Some good banter as usual, but no lunch conversations to report on today, being as I wasn’t there. I could feel my ears burning on the way home though- Lol.
A very enjoyable day indeed.
Till next time gang.
NT.
No comments:
Post a Comment